Proposal: Getting Fit
- The purpose of this game is to educate individuals on the various processes of ‘Getting Fit’. Getting into shape requires a total reshape of a person’s life and habits, so the game aims to help them develop the plan that is right for them and expose them to the different options. The first level focuses on the exercise phase and walks them through the various types while providing them information on how the body works. The second level will focus on nutrition and meal plans.
- The goal is to help individuals develop healthy lifestyles in every part of their life. This previous education will prepare them for the commitment and lifestyle change.
- The intended platform for this game is on a computer or handheld smartphone. The preferred method would be computer as the larger screen will make the education experience more pleasant.
Nature of Interactivity:
- The first level or room of ‘Getting Fit’ takes the user on the fitness journey. Most of this level will take place in a fitness center that has a variety of different options. After the player commits to making this lifestyle change the first educational aspect explains the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise, here the player also has the option to not exercise. Below the two types of exercises are various activities that the player can partake in within the fitness center. Each is explained in detail by the personal trainer on staff. For our particular development, we followed the path of aerobic exercise, specifically swimming. Within the swimming room, the individual will learn the four strokes of competitive swimming and an appropriate rate to increase yardage. At the conclusion of these several weeks of swimming the player will have the option to go meet with a nutritionist and develop a meal plan or return to the beginning and explore an alternative exercise plan. This option allows the player to decide which exercise best suites the preferences and abilities prior to going to the gym.
- The ideal audience would anyone over the age of 18. The individual will need to be able to have access to a computer, appropriate means of transportation to the fitness center, and control over their own meals. The game can appeal to anyone that is interested in becoming more healthy, most likely people who are not in shape and need to reshape their lifestyle.
- Age: 18 and over.
- The appeal of this game is to help people through the process of getting fit, however, this can be an incredibly intimidating process. This interactive narrative can be used an educational tool to start the process. It also explores a variety of different approaches to getting fit so it can be used as a one stop shop for all of the questions an individual starting this process could have. Although its main appeal will be as an educational tool.
- This game will explain and guide users through the process of developing a healthy lifestyle. As physical health is a main priority in a healthy lifestyle the individual will begin by committing to an exercise regime. The narrator of level one is a personal trainer who will explain the ways that different exercise stimulate the body and decide which the individual will be most successful at. For purposes of development, the desired choice is swimming. Within the swimming room the user will learn how to successfully complete all four strokes and swim 1000 yards. When they have followed this exercise plan for two weeks, then the game will introduce a nutritionist to develop a meal plan. However, the user has the option and is encouraged to return to the beginning and select a different exercise to find the one best for them. Once they feel prepared to move on the second level will explain nutrition and meal plans. Hopefully by the end the player feels like they are adequately educated and have an idea about which path they would like to follow in real life to get more fit.